Why have Angel names become so popular?
In recent years, there has been a growing trend among parents to name their children after celestial beings, with angel names becoming increasingly popular.
What is it about these ethereal names that make them so appealing? Whether it’s for spiritual reasons, cultural significance, or simply a love for the sound of the name, the use of angel names has become a staple in modern parenting.
In many ancient civilizations, angels were revered as powerful beings with the ability to communicate with the divine.
As such, naming a child after an angel was seen as a way to bring blessings, protection, and guidance into their life.
Throughout history, angel names have been used to convey spiritual significance, cultural heritage, and a deep reverence for the divine. Here we bring you a comprehensive list of 45 of the most popular angel names along with their meanings.
Each name has been carefully selected based on its popularity and significance making it easier for you to choose the perfect angel name for your little one.
45 of the most popular angel names
- Michael – Michael is revered as a powerful and important angel, often depicted as the leader of heaven’s army. He is considered a protector and defender, and is often invoked for strength and guidance in times of need.
- Gabriel – Gabriel is considered a protector and guide, helping individuals to navigate the challenges of life and to connect with the divine. The name Gabriel has been popular for centuries, symbolizing strength, guidance, and a connection to the spiritual realm.
- Raphael – In the Bible, Raphael is best remembered as the angel of healing and protection, helping individuals to overcome physical and emotional afflictions. The name Raphael symbolizes healing, protection, and guidance, and remains a popular choice for those seeking a connection to the spiritual realm and divine support
- Uriel – Uriel is associated with wisdom, knowledge, and enlightenment, and is also considered a protector of humanity. He is often invoked for guidance and support, helping individuals to navigate the challenges of life and to connect with the divine.
- Azrael – The name Azrael symbolizes the cycle of life and death, and is often used as a reminder of the importance of living life to the fullest.
- Jophiel – Jophiel is often depicted as the angel of wisdom and illumination, helping individuals to gain a deeper understanding of the world and the divine. She is also considered a protector of artists and musicians, inspiring creativity and beauty in all forms.
- Chamuel – Chamuel is often depicted as an angel of love and compassion, helping individuals to find love and happiness in their lives. He is also considered a protector of the home and family, offering comfort and support to those in need.
- Seraphina – In Jewish and Christian tradition, seraphim are celestial beings with six wings who attend to God and serve as His messengers. The name Seraphina therefore symbolizes holiness, purity, and divine protection. It is often given to girls and is considered a unique and beautiful name with spiritual significance.
- Zadkiel – Zadkiel is considered the angel of mercy, freedom, and benevolence. He is often depicted as a powerful and benevolent force who helps people let go of anger, hatred, and bitterness, and find peace and forgiveness. The name Zadkiel therefore symbolizes compassion, mercy, and a connection to the divine.
- Haniel – Haniel is associated with the planet Venus and is often invoked for matters related to love, beauty, and harmony
- Raziel – Raziel is associated with knowledge, wisdom, and divine secrets, and is often invoked for guidance and enlightenment. According to some legends, Raziel was the angel who revealed the secrets of the universe to Adam and taught him the magic of the names of God.
- Sandalphon – Sandalphon is associated with the planet Earth and is often invoked for matters related to nature, the physical world, and the arts. Sandalphon is considered a protector of the earthly realm and is said to help people connect with their physical senses, creativity, and inspiration.
- Metatron – Metatron is associated with divine presence, spiritual ascension, and the protection of souls. In Jewish tradition, Metatron is considered to be the celestial scribe who records the good deeds of humans. In Kabbalah, Metatron is seen as the bridge between the physical world and the spiritual realm, and is considered to be a source of divine knowledge and wisdom.
- Jeremiel – In some belief systems, Jeremiel is seen as a gentle and compassionate angel who helps people reflect on their lives and make important decisions. Jeremiel is said to be able to provide guidance and support through dreams and visions, and to help people understand the messages they receive from the divine. Jeremiel is also associated with the afterlife, and is considered to be a guide for souls who are making the transition to the next world.
- Ariel – Ariel is often associated with the angel of nature or the angel of protection and is also sometimes considered a chief of the angelic choir. In literature, the name Ariel has been used for both male and female characters and is often associated with grace and beauty.
- Raguel – Raguel is also sometimes considered the angel of justice in the heavenly court and is said to be responsible for ensuring that all angels fulfill their duties and responsibilities. In literature, the name Raguel is often associated with fairness and balance.
- Israfel – Israfel is believed to be responsible for playing the trumpet on the Day of Judgment. Israfel is often associated with music and poetry and is said to be the celestial musician who has the ability to move hearts and souls with his songs.
- Cassiel – Cassiel has significant spiritual and religious meaning, representing a powerful symbol of detachment, protection, and watchfulness, and is revered by many people as a source of spiritual inspiration and guidance.
- Sariel – Sariel is often associated with the idea of salvation or deliverance, and is sometimes considered to be an angel of judgment.
- Barachiel – Barachiel is considered to be an angel of blessings, protection, and answered prayers. He is often depicted as a high-ranking angel who oversees the distribution of blessings from God to humanity. Some traditions also associate Barachiel with the element of lightning, and with the idea of purification and renewal
- Azazil – Azazil is sometimes seen as a figure who represents the potential for evil within the human soul, and who serves as a reminder of the importance of humility and submission to God. Some Sufi mystics also believe that Azazil can be redeemed through spiritual discipline and devotion to God.
- Azreal – Azrael is often considered to be an angel of death, responsible for separating the souls of the dead from their bodies and guiding them to the afterlife. He is often depicted as a stern but just figure who carries out the divine will with compassion and mercy.
- Zephaniah – The name Zephaniah has been used as a personal name in many cultures, and can be associated with the idea of divine protection and guidance, as well as with the message of the biblical prophet Zephaniah.
- Azriel – The name Azriel has been used as a personal name in many cultures, and can be associated with the idea of divine protection and guidance, as well as with the concept of an angel of death in some religious traditions.
- Anael – In some religious and mystical traditions, Anael is the name of an angel associated with love, beauty, and fertility. In these traditions, Anael is often considered to be one of the seven archangels, and is invoked for help with matters of the heart, relationships, and matters related to fertility and childbirth
- Camael – The significance of Camael is as an angelic being who represents strength, courage, justice and protection, and who serves as a powerful intermediary between God and humanity.
- Eisheth – the significance of Eisheth is as an angelic being who represents love, nurturing, and the feminine aspect of the divine, and who serves as a protector and guide for women.
- Gadreel – Gadreel is considered to be a benevolent angel who serves as a protector or helper to those in need. The significance of the name Gadreel varies depending on the religious tradition or interpretation. For some, it represents the ultimate test of faith and the consequences of giving into temptation. For others, it represents the possibility of redemption and the power of God to offer guidance and help in difficult times.
- Gavriel – The name Gavriel is a variant of Gabriel, which means “God is my strength”. The meaning remains the same as Gabriel.
- Jehoel – The name Jehoel is sometimes used as a given name for people and is often associated with spiritual protection and guidance, reflecting the qualities commonly attributed to angels in religious traditions.
- Kokabiel – Kokabiel is mentioned as a high-ranking angel, responsible for overseeing the movements of the stars and the heavens. In other sources, Kokabiel is associated with the planet Venus and is considered to be a powerful and benevolent angel who brings peace and prosperity.
- Lilith – Lilith has been appropriated as a feminist symbol and is sometimes seen as a positive figure who represents female empowerment and resistance against patriarchal norms. However, it’s important to note that the original interpretations of Lilith vary greatly and that her role and significance can vary widely depending on the cultural and historical context.
- Malakh – The name Malakh serves as a reminder of the important role that angels play in the spiritual lives of people and the connection between the earthly and heavenly realms. The name can also be seen as a symbol of hope, protection, and guidance for those who believe in the existence of angels.
- Muriel – In some esoteric and spiritual beliefs, the name Muriel is associated with the archangel Muriel, who is said to be the angel of inspiration and peace. Muriel is often invoked for help in finding inner peace and for inspiring creativity and artistic expression.
- Evangeline – Evangeline symbolizes the idea of an angelic presence in one’s life, inspiring and guiding them towards good things.
- Lailah – Lailah is considered to be an angel of conception, who is responsible for guarding the souls of unborn children and helping to bring them safely into the world. In some religious texts, Lailah is described as a guardian angel who helps guide and protect individuals throughout their lives.
- Arcangela – Arcangela is often given to girls in recognition of the important role that angels play in the religious beliefs of many cultures. The name is sometimes used as a nod to the archangels themselves, and is seen as a way of expressing a strong spiritual connection and a desire for divine guidance
- Vanina – Vanina is a female given name of Italian origin. The name is derived from the Latin name “Vanninus,” which was a popular name among the ancient Etruscans, a people who lived in central Italy before the rise of the Roman Empire. The name Vanina has several possible meanings, including “gracious” and “lovely.”
- Lieke – Lieke can refer to a person who is loved and cherished, or one who brings light and illumination to those around them.
- Rabia – Rabia is a name that is associated with spring and renewal, as well as devotion and spiritual enlightenment.
- Rosangel – Rosangel is a unique and feminine name that combines the beauty and softness of a rose with the protection and guidance associated with an angel. It is a romantic and sentimental name that is well-suited for a girl who is as sweet and gentle as a rose and as pure and kind as an angel.
- Michelangela – Michelangel is a unique and feminine name that combines the spiritual qualities associated with Michelangelo and Angela. It is a powerful and meaningful name that is well-suited for someone who is strong in their faith and dedicated to serving others.
- Javan – Javan is the name of a son of Joktan in the book of Genesis, and is associated with the ancient Greek name Ionia, which was used to describe a region in Asia Minor.
- Mariangela – is a feminine name that combines the qualities associated with Maria and Angela, suggesting a person who is both strong and compassionate, and deeply rooted in their beliefs.
- Dara – In angelic tradition, the name “Dara” is associated with the idea of inner beauty and a gentle, nurturing spirit.
It’s important to note that the popularity of these names can vary greatly depending on cultural and historical context, and some names may have different spellings or variations.
Additionally, the significance and attributes associated with these names can also vary greatly depending on the religious or mystical tradition in which they are used.